Be Prepared for Storms!
It is important to be prepared for possible power outages when storms are in the forecast.
To report an outage, call Northern Electric Cooperative at 1-800-529-0310.
Rotate emergency kit supplies on a regular basis to keep them fresh and use the following checklist to prepare for the possibility of outages:
Have Plenty of Food and Water
- Keep a 3-5 day supply of drinking water in plastic bottles. Plan on at least one gallon of water per person, per day.
- Store a manual can opener with enough nonperishable foods for 3-5 days.
- Conserve water by using paper plates and plastic utensils.
- Have a camp stove or grill for outdoor cooking.
Stay In Touch
- Make sure all mobile phones, smartphones, and tablets are fully charged before a storm.
- Locate all car chargers for phones and tablets so mobile devices can be charged during a prolonged outage.
- Have a portable, battery-powered radio and alarm clock.
- Plan where to meet and how to communicate with family members if separated.
- Keep essential family member contact information near your phone, in your wallet, and in the glove compartment of a vehicle.
Keep Things Going
- Keep plenty of gas in your car.
- Make sure you have a good stock of extra batteries, matches, propane, charcoal, and firewood.
Stay Happy, Healthy and Warm
- Coordinate with neighbors to care for the elderly and disabled living alone.
- Maintain a supply of prescriptions, nonprescription drugs, vitamins, and special dietary foods.
- Put first-aid kits in your home and car.
- Make sure you have cold weather clothing, blankets, and sleeping bags.
- Use flashlights and battery-operated lighting instead of candles.
- Keep fire extinguishers fully charged.
- Fill your bathtub with water for bathroom use before the storm (if you have a well).